green homes grant
The government will provide a voucher towards the cost of installing energy efficient and low-carbon heating improvements to homes in England. The voucher will cover up to two-thirds of the cost for homeowners and landlords, and up to 100% of the cost for low-income households.
how does the green homes grant work?
If you’re a homeowner or residential landlord you can apply for a Green Homes Grant voucher.
Introduced in September, the Green Homes Grant is a government scheme designed to help homeowners and landlords fund energy saving home improvements.
With grants of up to £5,000 available, the government will cover up to two-thirds of the cost of eligible improvements.
Families receiving certain benefits may be eligible for a higher contribution of up to £10,000 or the total cost of improvements.
You must redeem the voucher and ensure improvements are completed by 31 March 2021.
WHAT DOES THE GREEN HOMES GRANT COVER?
Eligible energy saving improvements are divided into two categories – primary and secondary measures. It’s worth noting that to secure funding for a secondary measure, you must install a primary measure too.
Primary measures include:
- Insulation – including solid and cavity wall, flat and pitched roof, and under-floor insulation.
- Low carbon heat solutions – including solar thermal heating, biomass boilers, air and ground source heat pumps.
Secondary measures include:
- Heating controls and insulation – includes hot water tank thermostats and heating controls, such as smart heating and thermostatic radiator valves.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
You may be eligible if you live in England and:
- you own your own home (including long-leaseholders and shared ownership)
- you own your own park home on a residential site (including Gypsy and Traveller sites)
- you’re a residential landlord in the private or social rented sector (including local authorities and housing associations)
You cannot get the Green Homes Grant for newly built homes which have not been previously occupied.
Vouchers will cover two-thirds of the cost of eligible improvements, up to a maximum government contribution of £5,000.
If you, or someone in your household, receive certain benefits you may be eligible for a voucher covering 100% of the cost of the improvements. The maximum value of the voucher is £10,000 unless you are eligible for full funding as a low-income applicant.
Landlords are not eligible for low income support.
- Check your eligibility through our online application form
- Check what energy efficiency improvements may be suitable for your home
- Euro Energy Group will provide you with a quote for the work you wish to carry out
- Apply for the voucher using out tailored quote
You only need 1 quote from a Green Homes Grant registered installer such as Euro Energy Group in order to apply for a voucher.
You will need to provide a copy of the quote when you apply. If the quote seems unreasonably high, the scheme administrator may request that you provide another quote.
You can use more than one installer to install different measures. You only need to complete one application form, but you will need to provide a separate quote for each measure.
If you would prefer, to minimise contact during national restrictions, you can ask your installer to provide a quote remotely using a video call or detailed photos.
Costs that are covered by the voucher include:
Additional works will be covered by the voucher if they are necessary for the installation of measures.
Work cannot be completed by yourself, a member of your household or your immediate family.
All work covered by the voucher must be completed by a TrustMark-registered installer such as Euro Energy Group who are also registered for the scheme.
Your installer will also need to meet PAS and MCS standards when installing your measures. Euro Energy Group meets all these regulations.
The Government will start to issue vouchers to customers from early November 2020.
You will receive a separate voucher for each of the measures that you have applied to install.
Each voucher is only valid for the measure and property you have applied for.
The voucher is only for use by the named applicant and cannot be transferred to another person.
You can only begin work once your voucher has been issued. Any work that was started before that date cannot be claimed.
Euro Energy Group will be able to advise you further on the process.
You must redeem your voucher before it expires.
To redeem your voucher you will need:
- your reference number (received when you first applied for the grant)
- the post code of the property where the measure has been installed
- the email address that you used to make your application
- your voucher number
- the final cost of the measure (including VAT, as applicable)
- a digital copy of your dated invoice. You will need 1 invoice per measure
You will need to confirm that:
- the installation was completed satisfactorily
- you have received the necessary certification documents from the installer
- you have paid your share of the costs to the installer (if applicable)
When you redeem your voucher the grant will be paid on your behalf directly to the installer.
Once the work is completed, your installer must give you:
- a dated copy of an invoice showing the supply and installation cost of your chosen measures. You must have 1 invoice per measure
- any certification for energy efficiency improvement measures
- a guarantee document from the installer
- an MCS certificate and relevant manufacturer instructions (if you have installed a low carbon heating measure)
- a Biomass Suppliers List (if your measure is a biomass fuelled low carbon heating system)
ARE YOU ELIGIBLE TO RECEIVE FUNDING?
WE HAVE A QUICK ONLINE APPLICATION FORM FOR US TO CHECK WHAT YOU MAY BE ENTITLED TO
NEED MORE GUIDANCE?
We understand that the funding initiatives and grants can be confusing especially if you’re trying to decide if it is right for your home. If you have any questions please contact us through our contact page, or use our contact form below.
Our team will be in contact within 24 hours to help guide you and answer any questions you may have.